There’s no denying it. Thinking about and dreaming of the ocean brings us both joy and calmness, and truly soothes the soul.
In times of stress, we turn to the ocean for it’s for words of wisdom, spoken through inspiring quotes and sayings.
These ocean and sea quotes remind us of our strength and resilience, and our love and vulnerabilities. They help us to weather tough times and challenges, knowing calmer seas will soon replace the storm.
If the sea has your heart, I hope these long and short ocean quotes bring you joy.
This post contains affiliate links which means if you click and buy that I may make a commission, at no cost to you. Please see my disclosure policy for details.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Encouraging Ocean Quotes for Sea and Beach Lovers
If you enjoy the images for these ocean quotes and sayings, you’re welcome to use the images, provided you link to this post directly and credit this website, lifewellcruised.com. These short sea quotes also make great instagram captions.
Here are the ocean quotes that inspire us, and I hope will inspire you too
1. “The sea does not like to be restrained”
Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief
2. “We are like islands in the sea, separate on the surface but connected on the deep.”
3. “The heart of man is very much like the sea, it has its storms, it has its tides and in its depths it has its pearls too”
4. “To reach a port we must set sail. Sail, not tie at anchor. Sail, not drift.”
5. “Together we can face challenges as deep as the ocean and as high as the sky”
6. “We ourselves feel what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.”
7. “Individually, we are one drop. Together, we are an ocean.”
8. “There’s nothing more beautiful than the way the ocean refuses to stop kissing the shoreline, no matter how many times it’s sent away.”
9. “Dance with the waves, move with the sea, let the rhythm of the water set your soul free.”
Christy Ann Martine
10. “Life is like the ocean, it goes up and down.”
11. “The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.”
12. “We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch – we are going back from whence we came.”
John F. Kennedy
13. “The ocean stirs the heart, inspires the imagination and brings eternal joy to the soul.”
14. “If the ocean can calm itself, so can you. We are both salt water mixed with air”
16. “There must be something strangely sacred in salt. It is in our tears and in the sea.”
17. “Why do we love the sea? It is because it has some potent power to make us think things we like to think.”
18. “If you want to hear the distant voice of the ocean put your ear to the distant lips of a seashell”
Curtis Tyrone Jones
19. “You will love the ocean. It makes you feel small, but not in a bad way. Small because you realize you’re part of something bigger.”
20. “Water always goes where it wants to go, and nothing, in the end, can stand against it. Water is patient. Dripping water wears away a stone.”
21. “For whatever we lose (like a you or a me), it’s always our self we find in the sea.”
22. “Let the waves carry you where the light can not.”
23. “The sea has boundless patience.”
24. “With every drop of water you drink, every breath you take, you’re connected to the sea. No matter where on Earth you live.
25. “The sea will grant each man new hope, and sleep will bring dreams of home…”
26. “In one drop of water are found all the secrets of all the oceans.”
27. “A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.”
Franklin D. Roosevelt
28. “The sea lives in every one of us.”
29. “I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea.”
30. “The ocean makes me feel really small, and it puts my whole life in perspective.”
31. “At sea, I learned how little a person needs, not how much.”
Robin Lee Graham
32. “The sea, the great unifier, is man’s only hope. Now, as never before, the old phrase has a literal meaning: we are all in the same boat.”
Jacques Yves Cousteau
32. “The ocean has always been a salve to my soul.”
33. “The ocean is a wilderness reaching round the globe, wilder than a Bengal tiger.”
Henry David Thoreau
34. “The ocean is a powerful force, but so is the human spirit.”
35. “The ocean is an unfathomable mystery.”
36. “The sea is the same as it has been since before men ever went on it in boats.”
37. “The ocean is a mighty, vast, and dangerous place, but it always makes me feel small and humble.”
38. “The ocean is the lifeblood of our world.”
39. “The sea is everything. It covers seven-tenths of the terrestrial globe. Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides.”
40. “The ocean is a mighty, pulsing heart that surges with the rhythms of the earth.”
41. “The ocean has never been friendly to man. At most it has been the accomplice of human restlessness.”
42. “The ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of time.”
43. “The ocean is a world of perpetual motion and sound, a world where nothing stands still.”
44. “The ocean is a central image. It is the symbolism of a great journey.”
45. “I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky; And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.”
46. “The sea is emotion incarnate. It loves, hates, and weeps. It defies all attempts to capture it with words and rejects all shackles.”
47. “I have sea foam in my veins, for I understand the language of the waves.”
Le Testament d’Orphée
48. “Smell the sea and feel the sky, let your soul and spirit fly”
49. “A rising tide lifts all boats”
50. “How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is clearly Ocean.”
Arthur C. Clarke
More inspiring quotes:
Final thoughts: Inspirational Ocean Quotes for Those That Love the Sea
Whether we are anxious and need to feel calm, feeling blue and long to be happy, feeling vulnerable and need reminding of our strength, thoughts of the ocean brings this into our heart and soul.
If you love the beach and ocean, I hope that you’ve enjoyed these quotes and have found some inspiration.
Please leave any other favorite quotes about the ocean, sea and the beach in the comments below.
P.S. Thanks for reading – if you’ve enjoyed this post, please share on Facebook or Pinterest, so others can benefit as well.
Follow me on Facebook at Life Well Cruised
Follow me on Pinterest at Life Well Cruised
Follow me on Instagram at Life Well Cruised